Vancouver Island University
|School:||Vancouver Island University
|Field of Study:||Substance Abuse/Addiction Counselling
|Description:||This certificate gives students the opportunity to take a collection of courses (by their own design) that specialize in the area of addictions. Students must satisfy the Degree English Requirement, and complete 6 credits of required courses in psychology and one required second year methods course. A senior course in theories of addiction is also required but offered across a number of departments. These courses were selected/created to give students an appreciation for research, a strong background in pharmacology and addiction. The remaining courses can be chosen from a variety of disciplines that deal either directly or indirectly addictions.
This credential is considered embedded as it has been designed to be to be taken as part of a degree or diploma in an area of the student’s primary interest. For example, students interested in criminology could benefit from a working understanding of addictions if they were going into policing, probation or juvenile services.
|URL:||Addiction Studies at Vancouver Island University
|Cost per year:*||
These courses are intended as guidelines. Speak to your guidance counsellor to see what courses are offered at your school.
- graduation from a B.C. secondary school, or equivalent, with a minimum “C” grade in either English 12 or English 12 First Peoples;
- previous degree from a recognized university;
- visiting student from a college or university (a “Letter of Permission” from the home institution is required);
- transfer student from a college or university (at least 24 transferable university-level credits completed);
- mature student—at least 21 years of age (or will turn 21 in the first semester of admission) and has a minimum “C” grade in either English 12 or English 12 First Peoples.
* We make every attempt to provide accurate information on prerequisites, programs, and tuition. However, this information is subject to change without notice and we highly recommend that you contact the school to confirm important information before applying.